Wednesday 2 September 2009

An etsy story.

You may know that I sell some of my handmade bridal designs on etsy--mostly little shrugs and accessories, because they're easy to transport and fit--but also a selection of dress designs. Late this spring I was contacted by a bride named Mary--she lives in Ireland but was getting married at a friend's house in Italy in August. Could I make a full-length version of my ghost dress and ship it to her in Italy? I could.

I packaged the dress carefully and took it to my friendly neighborhood postman, who advised me that the Italian post is "the worst" (i.e. slow, unreliable, prone to losing precious parcels). He saw the panicked look on my face and said, "Just tell the bride to run down to the local ufficio postale with a nice bottle of wine...I'm sure everything will be fine." I laughed nervously--I've been to Italy, and I knew he wasn't joking.

The box went off. Weeks passed--no word. Then a nervous email from Mary, asking if I might know when the dress would arrive? I replied with some advice about charming the officials, per my postman's suggestion. Then silence. The wedding day came and went. I felt a deep, quiet anxiety as I went about my day, finishing projects for other brides. More days passed. Still nothing.

Then, like a ray of sunlight, came this email from Mary! I'll let her take it from here:
Sorry I have not been in contact any earlier, it was a mad rush around the wedding. We had such problems with the Italian customs...I got the dress ONE HOUR before the ceremony last Wednesday! I had already given up on it when some of our friends who came over for the wedding managed to pester enough people in various embassies to get the Italians to release it. They finally released it from customs the night before the wedding and my brother drove the three hours to Milano to pick it up from the airport.....But it was all worth it... the dress is absolutely beautiful!!! Could not have had a nicer wedding dress..I loved it. When it finally arrived I put it one and it fitted perfect...there was nothing I would have changed even if I would have had the time. Thank you so much for all the extra work in making it longer and making it fit. Have not got any official photos back but have attached one a friend of ours made.
Thanks again,
Best wishes
Mary xx

How big was my sigh of relief? I could have floated away on it.
Thanks, Mary! I'm so glad this story has a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment